Monday, September 29, 2014

If You're Bird Hunting...

In my part of the world this fall, you'd better not forget dog boots, because we've got an absolutely insane crop of these things...


Endless acres of sandburs, the most horrible, useless plant to ever diminish the world with its presence. Most years, in most areas, they're usually not bad enough that I think I need to boot the dogs. Both my dogs have pretty tight feet and tough pads. Burs usually don't bother them too much. But based on what I've seen so far this year, it looks like I'll be breaking out the dog boots more than normal, which means I'll be losing dog boots in staggering numbers. There are guys who can wrap a boot to where it never gets thrown, and then there are guys who don't think a hunt's complete without losing at least one, and more likely two. Guess which guy I am?

6 comments:

  1. Years ago I hunted with a guy in TX who never used boots, he just duct taped the hell out of the paws. No idea how he got it off at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried that, and there must be an art to it, because when I do it, it just looks like they're trying to run on four giant wads of chewing gum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I hate those things... the sandspurs (sandburs, stickers, by any other name). I know they were probably here already, but apparently I brought in a whole generation of seed stock in a load of hay, and they're now migrating outward from my barn and into the pastures... and the yard.

    Never used dog boots, although they were highly recommended hunting in the salt marshes back in NC. Oyster shells are hell on soft tissue. My old lab got cut a few times, but I mostly chose to avoid the heaviest oyster beds when setting decoys, and we managed OK. I think I carried more oyster scars than that poor old dog ever did.

    For now, here in TX, Iggy prefers sandspurs to cactus. He can stop and shake his foot to remove the burr, but cactus spines take a little more effort... and for a go-go dog, stopping to pull spines interferes with the "real work" at hand, even if that "real work" is just following the tractor around as I move hay or bushog the pasture. That means, of course, we deal with the occasional abscess as the spine and dog physiology work things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks similiar to Puntcturevine another ansty weed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boy just learned about sandburs during our recent trip to SW Florida. He's not a fan. I grew up on the beach and I eat them like cheetos. Because I'm tough. Actually I prefer them to the prickly pear cactus that grows on the dunes back home. Stepped on plenty of those at night next to a campsite....

    ReplyDelete