Monday, September 22, 2014

Bradbury Estate Auction



If you are (as I am), a huge Ray Bradbury fan, and you have (as I do not) some disposable cash you'd like to trade for some Bradbury-owned art, you'd better scuttle yourself over to this auction site (hat tip to BoingBoing) to bid on a huge lot of art the late master's estate is auctioning off.

There's some fantastic stuff  being sold, like the original oil painting (above) of the 1969 edition of "The Illustrated Man." And here's one that I really like, the original artwork that became the cover of the 1953 edition of "The Martian Chronicles."


I've got a later printing of that edition with this artwork, and I'd gladly trade my spleen for the original. And here's a fantastic Joseph Mugnaini original...


Obviously the original paintings are going to go for high four or five-figure amounts, but there's also a good number of etchings, sketches, artist proofs, and drawings that don't have any bids at all, many of them from Mugnaini, who was Bradbury's longtime illustrator on a number of books, and a personal favorite of mine. Here's one from "The October Country"...

And another...

And of course there are some artist proofs for his most famous work, also drawn by Mugnaini...



I'd really like that one...

I guess there are some advantages to being poor, because if I were rich I'm quite certain that whatever money I didn't blow on shotguns, rods, or books, I'd just blow on stuff like this. Anyway, if you're a Bradbury fan, check out the rest of the auction items out of curiosity if nothing else, but you'd better hurry; the auction ends on the 25th.

1 comment: