Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Not-So-Small Potatoes...

                                                                Please Fund Me...

A year or so ago I was sort of half-ass contemplating starting a small Kickstarter campaign to fund (in what would, in all probability, be a one-and-failed proposition) the type of publication I've mused about in several different blog posts, mainly here and here. It was one of those ideas that sound promising for a bit, but then begin sounding progressively less so the more you apply that damnable reason to it. All sorts of reasons why it'd invariably fail: Too small a potential market. Wouldn't be able to raise the cash. And even if I could, I wouldn't be able to find the time to do it, couldn't financially afford to make the time to do it, didn't have the skills, didn't have the vision and probably didn't have the confidence to do it. You know, all the things you run through your mind over and over when you want to do something bold, but know deep down that it's not such a great idea, and even it were you just aren't brave, smart or stupid enough to do it. So I didn't.

As it turns out, I guess I probably should have asked for money to make a bologna sandwich. I'm sure you've all heard about the guy who started - as a joke - a Kickstarter campaign with the goal of raising ten bucks to make potato salad. If you haven't, oh, hell, just Google it, preferably with a drink in your hand. I don't have the heart to link to any of the billions of stories about it.

 As of now he's raised over $71,000. And he's got 23 days to go.

Isn't life just a big goddamned kick in the nuts sometimes? You just gotta laugh. You really do. Maniacally.    

2 comments:

  1. Do a kickstarter for your bookstore. I am in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd throw in for the hunting e-zine. I've been craving something like that.

    ReplyDelete