Friday, May 17, 2013

Fish On The Brain






My reading list for the next couple weeks...

The Founding Fish. McPhee, of course, needs no introduction. He's John 'Effing McPhee.

Something's Fishy. Likewise, Ted Williams. No one, and I mean no one working in outdoors journalism today has a pair of balls half the size of Ted Williams'. Big brass clankers. I don't see how the dude walks. He speaks and writes exactly what he believes and sees as the truth, regardless of who it may piss off. I wish we had a few more hook-and-bullet journalists like him around.  Sadly, with a few exceptions, we don't.

An Entirely Synthetic Fish. I've sort of half-ass skimmed through Anders Halverson's natural and cultural history of the rainbow trout, but this time I'm going to sit down and truly read it. Should be fascinating.

Sowbelly. Monte Burke is a staff writer for Forbes magazine, but I won't hold that against him, because he's a wonderful writer. I've read some of his stuff in the Drake and in other publications here and there. Sowbelly is a book I've been meaning to read for a few years, but for whatever reason I just haven't gotten around to it until now.

So there you have it. I've got fish on the brain. Now I just wish I had a few on my line...

3 comments:

  1. Halverson's book is good. Wonderfully researched and a bit depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy McPhee's Founding Fish. His book inspired me to pursue a grad degree in Fisheries Biology.

    ReplyDelete