Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm not dead, I'm just resting my eyes...

She, on the other hand, is definitely TU, despite what the headstone says...


Have you ever just not had anything to say? That's been me the past week or so. I haven't really been on the computer, haven't responded much to e-mails, haven't had a decent idea for a blog, a story or a query, haven't been fishing, haven't done any dog training, haven't felt social in any way. I haven't, in fact, done a damn thing beyond the bare minimum dictated by involuntary bodily functions, contractual work obligations, parental duties and the necessary avoidance of spousal wrath.

Maybe it's the weather. My wife has long accused me of being SAD (as in Seasonal Affective Disorder, not my general appearance or mood, although that could be argued as well...) and the past few days has me thinking there might be something to that. What the hell happened to spring? All I see are variations of cold, dreary, and miserable. And wet. But not a good, soaking, break-the-drought wet, but rather a misty, damp, barely-above freezing wet that will - as soon as the weather turns warm again -  put us right back in the middle of what is shaping up to be a pisser of a grass fire season.

Last night I poured myself a glass of good inspiration, grabbed the laptop and sat down in my office writing chair, determined to write...something. Two hours later, no inspiration, and my glass was empty, too. So I just went to bed.

Just been that kind of week. Incidentally, the picture was taken in the very entertaining and interesting Key West cemetery. And what I wouldn't do for a few days in Key West right now, kitsch and tourist-trap tackiness be damned. Just give me a week, two rods, one bottle and a nice, dry bridge to sleep under...

9 comments:

  1. Shortstop me in Marathon and call it good! I'm with ya on the SAD. Been raining almost the whole month here in CA, and while it's got the water managers jumping for joy, if I have to sit out one more day of gloom and rain, I'll lose my mind. Shooting six holes in the freezer is barely even a start!

    The sun is trying its best today. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. My creative output -- both at work and at home -- is sapped. It's gray skies and leafless trees here, and it's driving me insane. Perhaps the Ides of March are sticking around for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, know the feeling. Getting stuff out, but need some serious outdoor time. Going to Bermuda Friday, so look for some exciting tales of trophy bonefish in the future. Until then, the malt will have to tide me over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear it's not just me. Usually the SAD hits me in December, but I had it bad a few weeks ago. I blame the super-moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the ironic thing is, if it were still bird or duck season season, we'd kill for this weather...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suffer from SOD (Season's Over Disorder).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't think of anything to post as a comment. contagious I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You aren't lying about that drought, either...
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hwF-5B7z9BkZ4txCeInA68ZaDNPg?docId=5d3102a2b7254732b01b880531d13b97

    ReplyDelete