Sunday, June 5, 2011

Incommunicado...



                 "Nothing like this way out in west Texas, Galveston Bay is a whole other world."

                                                                       Jimmy Buffett, from Who's the Blonde Stranger?


If you've been wondering about my lack of posting activity or my complete lack of e-mail response (for those of you who have e-mailed me) over the past week or so, now you know the reason why...

My wife and I decided it was time the boys see the ocean (or gulf, for you sticklers) so last week we packed up and headed down to one of my favorite spots in the world, Galveston Island. Touristy? Yes, but that's OK. I like the place, anyway. I'm mostly a churlish, anti-social bastard when it comes to tourist destinations, but I make exceptions for Europe and anywhere I can fish.

So that's what we did. A little fishing, a little sightseeing, a little seafood and a whole lot of beachcombing. Had a great time. My eldest son caught several nice redfish and landed, after an extended fight, a big jack crevalle that - more than once -  I thought was going to spool him. It was great fun.

I've always liked Galveston, my wife and I even spent part of our honeymoon there, and since my new addiction to saltwater fishing, it's also the nearest outlet I have to scratch that itch. I'm already trying to figure out how I can go back down in July or August and fish for a few days.

Maybe it's the long-dormant Parrothead in me coming out, but if I ever get too old to keep up with the dogs, or if the birds ever disappear and with it my reason for living on the plains, I'm packing up and spending the rest of my days somewhere beside the sea, drinking beer and fishing. I can think of very few things I'd rather aspire to...

Anyway, if you've tried to get in touch with me the past ten days or so, be patient, I'll get back to you eventually, after I unpack, go pick up the dogs, mow the yard and wade through the pile of bills that were patiently, implacably, awaiting my return. Cursed reality...

5 comments:

  1. Nice red!

    If you get the chance, be sure and check out S. Padre and the Laguna Madre. Clearer water and generally better fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been wondering where you were. However taking the kids fishing is a great reason to be gone. Glad to see yall had a good time and that the kid caught a nice fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice fish! As an old buddy once said, "there's fishing and there's fishing with kids. The two are not the same." It's great that you do.
    As much as you love Galveston, I am sure you've read Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. An epic tale of bureaucratic hubris that cost 8000 lives in Galveston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with letting that Parrothead stretch his wings (and using a Buffett line in your post gets extra points from me... not that you need my points, but you got 'em anyway). I'm in love with the Keys for the same reason and under the same conditions. I hate a tourist town, often as much because of some "locals" as the tourists. But a place with that kind of fishing and diving... well, it's worth the exception.

    Good to see you back, of course, but I can't think of a better reason for hiatus when it's not hunting season.

    ReplyDelete