Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Guns I Shoulda Bought: Pre-War Superposed...


It was a thing of beauty leaning there in the gun rack among the ass-ugly plastic fantastics and worn-out department-store pumpguns. Two triggers, two barrels, solid rib, with a stock of swirled chocolate.

It was a widower's gun, on consignment for an elderly lady whose husband had had good taste in firearms and a penchant for Brownings. In addition to the super there was a sweet sixteen and two light twelves, all pristine post-war guns.

But I only had eyes for that old 30's-vintage super. I'd come into the gun shop, press my face to the glass of the circle rack and slowly turn the carousel until it was level with my face, then I'd ask to look at it, again. The asshole clerk would sigh, hand me the gun and glower impatiently while I fondled it.

I'd swing the gun on a few imaginary birds, break it open yet again, look down the bores, trace my fingers over that beautifully-figured stock and then reluctantly hand it back to dickface, who would put it on the rack with a smirk and then go back to ignoring me. The hangtag said $600. Hell, they were practically giving it away.

Didn't matter, of course. It may as well have been $60,000. I was a sophomore in college. I was working as a donation clerk at the local Goodwill store. I shared a dumpy one-bedroom apartment with a girlfriend who made even less than I did. I was driving a Schwinn at the time. I could afford Milwaukee's Best. I could afford Hamburger Helper. I couldn't afford a Browning Superposed no matter how much of a screaming deal it was.

And then, of course, one day it was gone from its place in the rack. The eared phallus smiled broadly as he told me that some guy from Tulsa here on business had walked in, just killing some time, picked up the super and bought it on the spot. "Helluva deal on that gun, too bad you couldn't get it."

Yep, too bad...

5 comments:

  1. Similar story. Broke. But it was a beautiful pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .270 for $300 in a ratty gunshop in nowhere, FL. That was big money at 17. But quite a deal I've been unable to find again

    ReplyDelete
  2. An old man offered me two old A-5s for $300 when I was in grad school. That was an entire paycheck back then.......and I said no.

    15 years later, I only own one Browning, and have been saving for a year for the second....it'll be a lot more than $300. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still with the coming storm there'll be more bargains, for instance I have a scorching deal on an Ex wife if anyone's interested....
    SBW

    ReplyDelete
  4. With me it was cameras and cars. Happens to everyone. It's good for us, I guess. Keeps you sharp, looking for that next great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks friends, for giving all of us such informative details on the guns. civil war bullets for sale

    ReplyDelete